TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

sublandlord ransacked my apartment and stole my belongings

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

sublandlord ransacked my apartment and stole my belongings

Postby jpaw64+ » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:35 am

My sublandlord was not allowed to sublet his apartment, I did not know this at the time as he had subleased it for 10+years. He tried to kick me out of the apartment before out sublease ended using threats, harassment, bullying, etc. I was scared as he has temper and has shown erratic behavior along with harassment. The building management evicted him and then me in holdover eviction after not renewing his lease. My sublandlord was allowed into the apartment to remove his property before I had a chance to get my property. I was worried about my belongings due to his crazy threats against me but since it was post eviction my property should have been okay since sub-landlord should be supervised by building management or superintendent. However to my horror my crazy sublandlord ransacked all of my belongings and stole many items of value including my laptop. The before and after photos are shocking at how much violent damage he did. Besides filing a police report for the vandalism and theft- do I have any recourse in the court? Since it was post eviction wasn't the building management supposed to keep my property safe?
jpaw64+

Re: sublandlord ransacked my apartment and stole my belongin

Postby TenantNet » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:13 am

First, all tenants have the right to sublet if certain procedures are followed. See details at http://www.tenant.net/tengroup/Metcounc ... ublet.html

We don't know what a sublandlord is. Your LL is your LL.

In any case, your issue now is your former LL's stealing of your property. You properly filed a police report. Did the police actually do anything about this (don't be surprised if they don't).

We can't say for certain who might have liability for your stolen and damaged property. I would consult with a civil attorney to see about filing a court case for damages. He/she can tell you if it's better to go after the building owner or your former landlord, or both. Some might say both and let it get sorted out in the course of litigation.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: sublandlord ransacked my apartment and stole my belongin

Postby jpaw64+ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:45 am

I mean the person who is subletting the apartment to me
jpaw64+

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments