TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

two electricity meter readings on bill

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

two electricity meter readings on bill

Postby zehraa » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 pm

I moved to a building in Roosevelt Island a few months ago where we pay the building for the electricity and they pay the company. Looking at the bill I realized that there are two meters associated with my 1 bedroom apartment. Landlord says this is normal in the building but I am still wondering if it is or not. I do not yet know other tenants to ask them. If anyone has information to share on this issue thanks in advance
zehraa

Re: two electricity meter readings on bill

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:10 pm

zehraa wrote:I moved to a building in Roosevelt Island a few months ago where we pay the building for the electricity and they pay the company. Looking at the bill I realized that there are two meters associated with my 1 bedroom apartment. Landlord says this is normal in the building but I am still wondering if it is or not. I do not yet know other tenants to ask them. If anyone has information to share on this issue thanks in advance

I've never heard of an apartment having two meters unless that apartment is a combined apartment (i.e. was originally two separate apartments that have been merged into a single apartment). I'd be very surprised if that were the case for your 1 bedroom.
BubbaJoe123

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:17 pm

Googling around, I found the linked blog post. In the comments, there's some discussion as to the rationale for the dual readings. I have no idea if that person is correct or not, but it does seem to make sense...

"I think the reason for the two meters is due to how the submeters are implemented - the units they use to measure our usage are not the traditional wattmeters you would see from ConEd or another utility. Instead, our power is measured with a clip-on CT probe in an electrical panel somewhere that wraps around each cable supplying the apartment with power. Since each apartment has two phases (basically, two wires providing 120v of power are needed so that we can get 240v for the HVAC systems), there need to be two probes."

http://rooseveltislander.blogspot.com/2 ... attan.html
BubbaJoe123

Postby TenantNet » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Perhaps, but I would not rely on comments. Call ConEd.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:17 am

TenantNet wrote:Perhaps, but I would not rely on comments. Call ConEd.

Won't help, those buildings submeter (i.e. buy power wholesale from ConEd and sell it on to the tenants), so ConEd has no relationship with the tenants. The OP should call the Public Services Commission (Helpline (general complaints and inquiries): 1-800-342-3377 (8:30 am - 4:00 pm)).
BubbaJoe123

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:41 am

Double check your bill. They often contain two readings, one for electricity and a second for gas. If they're both for electricity I would do as Tenant.net suggests - contact ConEd. They may also give you an idea of how much power an apartment that size may normally use.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments