TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What is a proper renewal lease?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

What is a proper renewal lease?

Postby roberta » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:20 pm

A neighbor of mine (non-regulated) has received a strange renewal lease. She used to get a simple one-page form entitled "RENEWAL FORM FOR APARTMENTS NOT SUBJECT TO RENT STABILIZATION LAW". Now she got a non-regulated VACANCY lease (similar to the one that she signed when she moved in). Very strange. Is this something new? I told her to call the LL/mgt but first I decided to post the question here.
roberta

Re: What is a proper renewal lease?

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:52 pm

First, make absolutely sure the unit is not regulated, or even the possibility. Get the rent history from DHCR.

Then, understand there is no requirement for unregulated units, LLs have a free hand on what can be in leases, although it would probably have to follow standard contract law. Look at the fine print as to its provisions.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: What is a proper renewal lease?

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:17 am

For non-regulated apartments, landlords will often send a renewal form that just says "new rent is X, new term is date X to date Y, all other terms of the existing lease remain in place." Sounds like that is what your neighbor had been getting.

Has your neighbor compared the new full lease he/she was sent to the existing lease? Are there any substantive differences?

Assuming this is actually a non-regulated apartment, then each renewal is essentially a new tenancy - the landlord is free to offer different terms on a new lease than on the prior lease, and the tenant is free to decide whether to sign the new lease and stay, or depart.
BubbaJoe123

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments