TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

casement windows/air conditioners

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

casement windows/air conditioners

Postby treasurer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:03 am

I live in an apartment in Brooklyn with all casement windows- the kind that open with a crank. The windows are quite large as well, which is great- lets in light and air when cooler. This summer has been brutal, the living areas are uninhabitable during the day and a sweaty mess at night. I was looking at one of the portable aircons (with the hose), but installation is not obvious. I could get a piece of wood and cut a hole for the hose, but that blocks the light, not to mention its ugly as hell. If anyone has any experience getting air cons to work with these types of windows, I'm all ears.

One note- my kids room has a cutout under the window for the aircon, it works great. My landlord is not inclined to put another one in either my bedroom or the living space.
treasurer

Re: casement windows/air conditioners

Postby TenantNet » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:37 am

They do make ACs specifically for casement windows. Have you looked into those?

As for the hoses, I found a number of articles by just googling "installing portable air conditioning units" or "installing portable air conditioner in casement window." One suggested using plexiglass to cover the whole window and cut a hole in that. http://goo.gl/WLGUve
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments