TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Where does the landlord show his rent records?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Where does the landlord show his rent records?

Postby ladybug67 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi Everyone!

New here, but having some issues with our landlord.
Am wondering where do landlords file the rent collected? I know with rent regulated they file with DHCR but what about if you are non-rent regulated?
Do they have to file?
Am wondering as I feel like my landlord has been collecting high rents from everyone in our building but never declaring to the state/feds, but perhaps this is perfectly legal?
Thanks everyone for insight!
ladybug67

Re: Where does the landlord show his rent records?

Postby TenantNet » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm

You must mean the level of the rent, not the actual rent that is collected. For RS units the LLs must register the units once per year with DHCR.

For unregulated units, there are no requirements to file the lease information.

If the unit was formerly RS, you can ask DHCR for the rent history going back to 1984.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby ladybug67 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Thank you so much for your reply.
Since we don't have leases I suppose the landlord can somewhat declare whatever he wants.
Ugh, thanks for your help!
ladybug67

Postby Elevenant » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:26 pm

ladybug67 wrote:Since we don't have leases I suppose the landlord can somewhat declare whatever he wants

Not having leases puts you a disadvantage but has no bearing on what rent amount can be charged. That's up to the market.
Elevenant

Postby TenantNet » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Let's correct a few things ...

First, there is no market. That's a misnomer. A lot of things impact rent levels other than market forces. NYC is a bubble of a lot of things. What people call the "market" is mostly hype.

Second, the OD actually does have a lease, but it's only 30 days, what is known as a month-to-month tenancy. If the LL accepts the rent, that creates a M2M tenancy. And like any lease, the LL can't call you on Wednesday and tell you the rent changes on Saturday. In order to change the rent for M2M tenants (or to terminate the lease), the LL must give 30 days written notice, and it's effective on the first rent payment date after the 30 days have expired.

Fore example, it's now April 2, 2018. If I get a written letter from the LL today, any change in the tenancy can not be effective until June 1. If it's not in writing, in out view it's not effective. Many LLs will issue verbal directives, but they don't hold in our view.

So yes, M2M tenants' rights are much less than those with regular leases or RS tenants, but some rights do exist.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments