TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Extention of lease withdrawn

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Extention of lease withdrawn

Postby NAILS41175 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:27 pm

Hello all,

This is my first post here so bear with my ignorance. Here is my situation.. I received a Lease Extension Agreement" from my landlord on Nov. 13th that stated that my monthly rent was going to increase by X dollars, the lease extension will be from Feb 1st 2003 to Jan 31st 2004, etc, Sign at the bottom and return to the office. Then on the very next day my landlord sent me a certified letter saying, that they were withdrawing the offer they sent the day before because ?there may be a change in the billing structure at some point in the near future? (I am guessing they are trying to raise the rent even more?).

So, I have a couple of questions:
A. What are my rights here?
B. Does my landlord have to give me a extension before my lease runs out?
C. Does my landlord have a specified number of days before my lease ends that he has to give me the extension (if he is going to give the extension).
C. If the rent hike is too much can I use any of this to negotiate with the landlord?

Thanks for the Help,
Jim
NAILS41175

Re: Extention of lease withdrawn

Postby NAILS41175 » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:54 pm

Thanks for your reply. I have the document.. But it is not signed by the ll :( So, That probably will not do me any good. I called the LL today for an explanation. All he could give me was that they were restructuring the billing for the building, I should know in the next couple of weeks, and that it should not be too much of a difference than the 1st offer. I guess we will see.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the 25% property tax hike that Bloomburg is pushing for.. :mad:

Jim
NAILS41175

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:16 am

With all of this talk about higher property taxes, your guess that the LL is waiting to see what happens, before he commits for another year or two , could be right on target.

I'd imagine any LL who isn't bound by rent regulation is working out lease language that will cover his costs and guarantee some kind of profit .
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:17 pm

I suppose you could make an issue of it, if you wished (if you wanted to stay in the apt. at the rate quoted) but you would need a lawyer as it sounds like a contract law issue.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:02 pm

I'd guess it would hinge on how long it takes the LL to decide under what terms he's willing to renew the lease.

I don't think LLs of Non-Regulated apartments are required to make a timely offer, but forcing a tenant to either pay more or move on short notice could be problematic -- especially since he'a slready cancelled the first offer.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments