TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Invalid Lease Contract

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Invalid Lease Contract

Postby mdelgadov » Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:32 am

A month ago, I rented this apartment without knowing enough about rentals in NY (I'm from California).

I signed in bona fide an agreement for the security deposit where I stated that I would loose if I don't fulfill the length of my lease. I never signed a lease properly speaking and I don't have signature from the landlord. After reviewing the letter, it says that I'm responsible for the maintenance and repair of the old ac unit.

Finally, he is trying to charge me 12 dollars for the extra power in this season and he said he would take it from the security deposit.

To make things worse, he is reserving 300 dlls from the security to cleaning before hand, out of a 1350 deposit in a 850 a month rent!.

Please comment on this... I'm worried.
mdelgadov

Re: Invalid Lease Contract

Postby ChrisG » Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:03 pm

you say you don't have a lease exactly, but you signed something concerning the security deposit? what was that? seems odd that the landlord would make you sign some 'agreement' about the deposit and nothing about the actual renting of the apartment. you said the landlord didn't sign this agreement, but do you have the document or does he? for what it's worth, if he has it he could sign it any old time and it might hold up as a binding contract. but what does it cover exactly? this business of using your deposit to clean 'before hand' (does this mean he's using your money to clean the place before you move in?) sounds fishy. a landlord should not be using a new tenant's cash for anything before the tenant moves in/becomes an actual renter.

i have to assume that electricity is included in the rent of the extra AC charges are ridiculous. i'd tell him that until he presents you with a lease specifying this weirdness, you won't be paying on top of your rent. technically the deposit is not to be touched until the tenancy is over, and the money is supposed to be placed in a separate, interest-bearing account. it's in no one's best interest for him to start blowing your deposit before you even move in!
ChrisG

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments