TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Help! Need advice/attorney. signed lease, pd dep+1st mo

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Help! Need advice/attorney. signed lease, pd dep+1st mo

Postby Marie » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:50 pm

Help.
I need advice and/or leads to good/aggressive landlord-tenant attorney.

I am in a situation that keeps getting worse. I signed a lease, paid security deposit and 1st months rent. 2 weeks later landlord says I need to pay $1000 more for credit check and his condo board application. Prior to lease signing he said the max cost would be $200 for condo board (its not a coop). When I asked if he would split cost, he said no and that he had someone else that wanted the apartment. Then without further word, he sent me a cancellation of lease notice 2 days letter. After weeks of trying to reach him he left a voicemail saying that if I signed the cancellation agreement (basically giving up all claims to the apt.) he would return all my money. Well, I said okay if we met in person and did a simultaneous exchange of signed cancellation for return of money. For the next 2 1/2 months he continued to avoid all calls to his home and office. I finally told him I would need to contact an attorney if he didn't call me back. Next day, he sues me to keep all the money! (by the way, he is a landlord tenant attorney, so all his legal fees are free).

Does anyone have advice or leads to a good/aggressive attorney?
Marie

Re: Help! Need advice/attorney. signed lease, pd dep+1st mo

Postby jhenkin » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:55 am

Nope, but I need same. I'll let you know if I find one, if you would please do same. Thanks.
jhenkin

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments