TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

can roommate turn off heat/elec to get me out?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

can roommate turn off heat/elec to get me out?

Postby oalex » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:35 pm

Help! My roommate's new husband has moved in and has been since the beginning hostile and verbally abusive (but not violent).Obviously they want the apt. for themselves. She and I are named on the lease, and I understand that he is considered immediate family. That exempts him from the two person max. stated on our lease, yes? In RPL35-f it does not say they " do not count in the enumeration..." as with dependents...but #3. seems to imply it is always okay. This also exempts him from rent and utils.?

He had been paying me some $ (1/6 rent,1/3 utils), now won't. They are demanding that I put all util. in my name, and I would like to refuse, as he has changed our agreements,bounced checks,etc. Their answer has been to deny responsibility to the util. companies, and have gas/elec shut off. Brr. What is my recourse to this new development?

Thanks so much for any info
oalex

Re: can roommate turn off heat/elec to get me out?

Postby Anna » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:03 pm

No law exempts your co-tenant's new husband from paying rent! If the apt is not regulated, no law spells out how much each person pays.

If two people are named as tenants on a lease, they are CO-TENANTS, not just roommates; you need to learn more about that subject, but:
most reasonable people work out how much each person living in the apt pays towards rent/utilities. For example, three people share two bedrooms, either each pays 1/3 or the one alone in a bedroom pays less than 1/2 and the other two together pay more than 1/2 (to compensate for use of the kitchen, bath & living room).
Anna

Postby oalex » Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:40 am

thanks for your attention Anna, and it would be great if he would pay, but he won't... things are beyond that now, but I do hope someone might answer my ?? about the heat/electric...

thanks again all of you, this is an amazing resource.
oalex

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:21 am

By any chance are you living with emma?
http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/ubbgraphics/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000285#000000

The problem is, this is much more of a roomate issue than an actual housing issue, and, as Anna said, there are very few laws that cover how people should live together. As a co-tenant I would imagine your roomate has the right to suffer the consequences of not paying for utilities. I would also imagine you could pay the bills and sue her in small claims court for the cost of utilities, plus any damages you suffer as a result.

<small>[ December 03, 2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments