TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Eviction as they (owner) please?!? Please say NO!

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Eviction as they (owner) please?!? Please say NO!

Postby Lilllian325 » Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:14 pm

For the past 3 months I having been renting one out the three rooms on the 2nd floor of a one-family house. I have my own kitchen, but need to share the bathroom, which I have no problem with. My problem came about 2 days ago, when the owner asked me to move out, by Nov 1st, 02.

She said she will have a hard time renting the other 2 rooms out w/o mine because my room is the only one of the three that has a kitchen.

I am not crazy about the idea of keeping my door open so the other 2 tenants can walk in and use the kitchen, as if my room is the Grand central Station.

I told her its none of my business if you want to rent those 2-rooms out, but I wasn't about to keep my door open and share my kitchen. So she asked me to leave.

But we had a lease signed and it is good from 6/17/02 to 6/17/03, so I believe I have some ground to stand on. Do I?

I know the room is not regulated/registered/stabilized, for its is a one-family home and she ask for cash payment from me, her basement tenant and her garage renters (I do get receipt from her).

I know I am no protected equally, but how much am I protected.

Do I have the right to stay in this apartment/room? I am never late on rent and am very quite.

I want to stay until the end of the year, after I graduate, at the very least, but she said no.

BECAUSE, she said it is harder for her to find tenant in the middle of winter. She is so self-fish!!!
Lilllian325

Re: Eviction as they (owner) please?!? Please say NO!

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:50 pm

Agreed. If the LL believes she needs a kitchen to rent the other rooms, she can build another kitchen.

You have a right to privacy in your own rooms.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments