TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Help I'm being evicted

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Help I'm being evicted

Postby dcintr01 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:24 am

Hi,

I've lived in a queens apartment for about 3 years without a lease. At the start of this year we got a new landlord and today we had a letter on our door stating that we were being evicted and that in 30 days they would start processing to get us removed. Is this legal? I've heard that we have 90 days until we can be removed. Is this true? I'm going to try to get a lawyer but would like to find an official document or site that will list my rights and what steps I can take to at least extend the time I need to find another place. Hey also does anyone know any good websites to find an apartment here in Queens?

Thanks,
dcintr01

Re: Help I'm being evicted

Postby HAJ77 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:04 am

Since you do not have a lease, you are considered a month to month tenant, as such your LL can ask you to leave with only 30 days notice. An attorney isn't going to do much except cost you money trying to fight what sounds like a legal refusal to renew your status.

Technically, you're not being evicted, they're just refusing to renew your month to month status and from what you stated they've given you 30 days notice which is the proper amount.
HAJ77

Re: Help I'm being evicted

Postby sabrina » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:47 am

If you do not move out in 30 days, then the LL can begin a holdover eviction. Since you are paying your rent, the judge will give you time to move out. A friend had a holdover eviction and and she had to agree in a stupulation when she would move out. So you do get a say in when you have to leave. The lls will usually agree because they are still getting rent during this period. My friend stayed in the apartment another six months after receiving that initial 30 day notice to vacate. But she had to go to court to get this much time.
sabrina

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments