TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

legal rent increase??

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

legal rent increase??

Postby Kelly N. » Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:10 pm

Hello,
I live in a Williamsburg apartment, and I've been in this place for seven years. I've never had a lease, but a decent relationship with the landlord. I've never really had problems. Luckily. Last year my rent was (verbally) increased from $700 to $800. I paid it. Now, he wants to increase it to $900. Is there a limit, a certain percentage, that he can increase the rent each year?
Kelly N.

Re: legal rent increase??

Postby Chimera » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:38 pm

In non-regulated apartments, your landlord could raise your rent by a million dollars if he really wanted to. There are no limits on non-rent controll and non-rent stabilized apartments.
Chimera

Postby sharonlreed2000 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:55 am

I have a lease. My ll tried to raise the rent and I looked up the same question that you are asking.The law states that the rent can olny be raised 4% every year or 6% every two years. I told my land lord that and I dont know if he had already knew this and was playing on my intelligence or if he truly thought that anytime he saw fit he was going to shake me down for my hard earned cash. My building is a 6 family and is not rent stailized or government housing.My landlord goes by the 4%,6% rule now. AT this rate my rent increase ranges in about 24 dollars a year.I can live with that.
sharonlreed2000

Postby consigliere » Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:13 pm

slr wrote:

My building is a 6 family and is not rent stailized or government housing. My landlord goes by the 4%/6% rule now. At this rate my rent increase ranges in about 24 dollars a year.I can live with that.

(1) Why wouldn't the apartments in a six-unit building be rent stabilized?

(2) The current rent guidelines increases are 2% for a one-year lease or 4% for a two-year lease.

consigliere

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments