TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

situation concerning no lease in apartment share

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

situation concerning no lease in apartment share

Postby nelliekatz » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:34 pm

I have lived in my apartment share for eight years and haven't had a lease for the past four. I am the primary tenant and the only one who communicates with the landlord. There is currently no lease, but I do have a decent relationship with the LL. I'm moving out March first and have found a tentative person who would assume my share of the rent and live with my roommate for six months. I then asked my landlord to give me a six-month trial period in the new place - that would allow me to return to the apartment share with no problem. He agreed to me returning within six months without an increase, but was not willing to give me or the remaining roommate a lease- for the trial period or even a longer period. Landlord also said that if I do not return he will raise the rent $200 at the end of 6 months -- and it will be up to his descretion to assign a lease to the remaining roommate. The remaining roommate is scared that if I tell the Landlord I'm no longer interested in the trial period (I kind of just want out and don't want to be on the hook for anything here, even if it means having no chance of moving back in) - he will jack up the rent $200 by March 1st. She could not take this increase now - but could in 6 months. Essentially, the roommate would like to remain in the apt and to be issued a 6 month or one year lease asap. Do we have any rights without a current lease?
nelliekatz

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments