TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can landlord turn off my phone?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Can landlord turn off my phone?

Postby hirschma » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:38 pm

OK, this one is new:

I'm leaving my apartment at the end of the month (1/31/04), which is when my lease expires. The apartment is already rented to a new tenant.

Seems that the new tenant is doing something that makes xfer'ing the old phone# out of the question, and must have service when they move in.

So, my landlard called me to tell me that he's cancelling my phone service ahead of the 31st so that the new tenant will be able to make their arrangements in time for their move-in date!

I called Verizon, and they don't know anything about it, but the landlard insists that he has the power to do this, and is going to do so.

Is he right? Seems like a great way to harass tenants in general. It may be only a few days, but I don't have a cell phone, and I don't see why I should have to deal with payphones to make life easier for a new tenant and the landlard.

Thanks.

Jonathan
hirschma

Re: Can landlord turn off my phone?

Postby Anna » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:43 pm

You're the one with the contract w/Verizon: didn't they tell you you're the only one who can cancel your service? (OK. well, without pretending to be you...)
land-L-A-R-D, cute.
Anna

Postby Rodneystri » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:03 am

To pigy-back on ANNA response, no one should be able to cancel your service but yourself.
Rodneystri

Postby hirschma » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:45 am

Thanks for the replies. Didn't seem possible that such a thing could be possible, at least not without a lot of red tape (and I'll be gone long before it could be dispensed).

Thanks.

Jonathan
hirschma

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:22 pm

This raises the possibility that the landlord plans to call Verizon, make believe he's you, and cancel the service. You might want to ascertain from Verizon about identity verification procedures when service is cancelled and, if in fact such a thing is possible, see what can be done to head it off.
Incidentally this is an example, albeit an extreme one, of why one should not give landlords personal info to which they are not entitled, such as social security #s.

<small>[ January 22, 2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Phil ]</small>
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:43 pm

Of course the LL couuld just clip the phone line... but that would be illegal.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Rodneystri » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:24 pm

To Phil: LL are entitled to SS #s for without them they/we will not rent to you. The same way a Credit card Co will not issue a card without one. For if we ever have to go after you or post a statement on your credit report we have the standard they all credit agencies use. I have had people refused to provide me with their SS# wihich is their right, but its also mine not to accept their application or let them move into my community. I also feel that we have to give to much info to get certain things but until the Gov'T changes the laws this is what we have. So I only have one (1) credit card and very seldom use a service that requires my SS#.
Rodneystri

Postby Phil Cohen » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:33 pm

I've had bulletin board sysops ask me for my Social Security # too--and they're not entitled to it either. I was thinking more in terms of landlords asking for that info, on various pretexts (such as relating to payment of security deposit interest) after one has moved in. In the latter case, the SS number goes to the bank, not the landlord. Banks are entitled to such info; landlords are not, any more than the corner druggist or (a better example) the pimp down by the docks.
SS #s are indeed required for reports to credit bureaus and tenant screening services--which is precisely why one should not provide it.
In any event, this is drifting off-topic.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments