TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL has lost his mind!

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

LL has lost his mind!

Postby dknite69 » Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:06 am

I have lived in this apartment for 5 years. It is in a private house and of course the apartment is illegal. Not only is it the attic the living room has been split in half and made into a bedroom without electricity (except for an extension cord). For the past couple of month the LL has been trying to provoke me into a fight. When I bought an air conditioner he stormed into the apartment started an altercation and tried to push me down the stairs, twice. I called the cops and filed a complaint. Tonight almost 30 days to the hour, he entered the apartment and started again but this time 5 of the people he brought with him held him back. And again I called the police. I refuse to let him intimidate me as I will not go to jail for anyone. I am however at a loss on what to do next as I just started a new job and moving is not in the cards as of yet but I have to get out of this hell. I am going to go to housing court and call the inspector as that will buy me time to put more money together instead of giving hime money to assault me.

thank you for listening. I needed it. Maybe now I can go to sleep, nightmare free. :mad:
dknite69

Re: LL has lost his mind!

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:09 am

Since you've already had the police there twice, I'd suggest calling the local precinct and asking about getting an order of protection.

That will prevent him from going anywhere near you, telephoning you etc. If he violates it, he'll get to spend a couple of days in jail.

Once that's done, I'd think about finding another place to live.

<small>[ September 21, 2002, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments