TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL wants more money, but not for rent

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

LL wants more money, but not for rent

Postby sabrina » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:17 pm

I rent a room in a 2 bedroom apartment with another renter. I have no written agreement. Utilities are included. But my landlady said that if I got an A/C I would have to pay $40 more a month. When I took my A/C out, I tried to stop paying the $40 but my LL said I had to continue paying it because the bill was still too high. When the LL ignored my continued requests for heat, I got a heater. The Con Ed bill arrived this weekend the same time the rent was due. The bill is $354. She demanded an extra $60 immediately or she would ask me to move out. Under duress, I gave her the $60. Then she announced that for the next 2 rent periods -I pay every 2 weeks- I would have to pay an additional $60. I then said I would move out and asked for the $60 back. She refused to give it to me. I told her I would not pay her Con Ed bill and she said that if I didn’t, she would cut off the electricity.

The next day we agreed that I would pay her another $154. I realized that since I am now living on unemployment, I am disabled and I have a cat that it would be extremely difficult to find another place to live. Yesterday she changed her mind and said that I now had to pay $194 instead. In addition she announced that from now on she would only pay $60 a month for Con Ed and that I would have to pay the rest. (The LL has not asked my roommate to pay anything towards the electric bill. She blames the high bill on the fact that I have a computer and I am home most of the time.)

The LL also says that since I am renting a room instead of an apartment, I have no rights. At this point I no longer know how much money I will have to pay each month to live here. Help!
sabrina

Re: LL wants more money, but not for rent

Postby HAJ77 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:58 pm

Since you have no written lease, you are a month to month tenant or possibly week to week (not sure if that's even possible), but without a written lease the LL has the right to change the terms of your tenancy at the end of each rental period. Obviously, this is not the best situation since she can increase the rent or utility charges. However, not providing heat or turning off the electricity are both illegal and should not be tolerated. If the heat is turned off contact the city at (212) 824-4328. As for electricity, cutting that could be considered a constructive evicition and might warant calling the police.

From your description, the LL is probably not the most stable person, so consider finding a new apartment. If you are disabled, you might qualify for subsidized or emergency housing, not perfect but better than dealing with a lunatic.
HAJ77

Postby sabrina » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:41 pm

I would love to move out, but my unemployment is not high enough even for subsized hoursing. Three years I applied for an apartment on Rooselvelt Island. Eight months later an apartment was available, but I couldn't take it because I was on disanility at the time and my inconme wasn't high enough.

The LL did give heat, but sporadically. Since the last bill arrived she has given us adequate heat.

This is a week-to-week rental. I had to pay 1 weeks rent and 2 weeks depostit to move in. Does the LL still have to go to housing court to get rid of me? I pay the rent, but can it be a non-payment eviction if I don't pay the Con Ed bill? Or will it have to be a holdover evictioon to get me out?

In housing court does it matter if you are renting a room instead of an apartment?
sabrina

Postby sharonlreed2000 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:44 am

Sound like this ll is out to take all your money.You really need to find another place to stay immediatly. You can get a studio for 600 a month. If your paying 300.00 for con ed plus rent every week or two. Find a inexpensive studio or room/no room mates.
sharonlreed2000

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments