TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breaking lease b/c of roommate

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Breaking lease b/c of roommate

Postby nycgirl25 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:14 am

My roommate informed me less than a week ago that she's moving to another city. Rather than take the chance with a subleaser, I'm agreeing to break the lease and she's agreeing to pay any penalty for doing so. Our LL says we're responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found. Now my roommate expects me to continue to pay half of the rent until a new tenant comes. I think I should be responsible for less b/c she's inconveniencing me and agreed to pay for the penalty. Who's right?
nycgirl25

Re: Breaking lease b/c of roommate

Postby mjr203 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:38 am

Unless you signed something that verbal agreement doesn't really mean much.

Personally, I think you're roommate is a real ass for giving you a week's notice. She should continue paying you through 30 days notice she should have given you or help you find another tenant.

Maybe you can work together to find someone to share with you/take over the place

good luck
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby Chimera » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:55 am

Why not live there an extra month, while she's paying her half, and work on finding a new tenant and allow the landlord or real estate agent to show your apartment. It's not as private, but at least you won't lose rent.
Chimera

Postby nycgirl25 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:02 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm agreeing to stay through Feb.2003 paying my half of the rent. In addition, I'm actively seeking a new tenant. The issue is what if a new tenant is not found in February. What if it takes several months? Should I be responsible for still paying my half of the rent. I know the LL doesn't care where the money comes from, but I need to know how to arrange this w/ my roommate.

Thanks.
nycgirl25

Postby mjr203 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:26 pm

Originally posted by nycgirl25:
Thanks for the responses. I'm agreeing to stay through Feb.2003 paying my half of the rent. In addition, I'm actively seeking a new tenant. The issue is what if a new tenant is not found in February. What if it takes several months? Should I be responsible for still paying my half of the rent. I know the LL doesn't care where the money comes from, but I need to know how to arrange this w/ my roommate.

Thanks.
in NYC it does not take several months to rent an apartment
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments