TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

supers in unregulated buildings

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

supers in unregulated buildings

Postby turnip » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:42 pm

Hello. I live in what I am pretty sure is an unregulated building (my landlord's "representative" claimed at lease-signing that the building was stabilized, but he is a big fat liar). There are 24 units in the building, and we have no super. Is the landlord requried by law to provide a super onsite, or within 200 feet, as stated in rent-stabilzed law? There is no one around to make emergency repairs, or to clean messes when they occur, or to take care of garbage etc. Please, if anyone knows anything about this, let me know.
thanks
turnip

Re: supers in unregulated buildings

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:09 pm

First, don't presume it's not stabilized. Units are stabilized; buildings are not. But units may be subject to stabilization based on the building: six or more units, built prior to 1974, not coop/condo, not subject to high rent/high income decontrol or not deregulated due to gut rehab/tax abatement expiration (that pretty well covers it).
The requirement for a super is not in the rent stabilization law; it's in the Housing Maintenance Code and covers all buildings, not just rent stab. However, super services could be a "required service" in the context of stabilization.
If there's no super, call HPD and get an inspection and violation.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments