TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Hot Water Temperature

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Hot Water Temperature

Postby mjr203 » Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:11 pm

the housing maintenance codes says:

"Sec. 27-2031 Supply of hot water; when required.

Except as otherwise provided in this article, every bath, shower, washbasin and sink in any dwelling unit in a multiple dwelling or tenant-occupied one-family or two-family dwelling shall be supplied at all times between the hours of six a. m. and midnight with hot water at a constant minimum temperature of one hundred twenty degrees Fahrenheit from a central source of supply constructed in accordance with the provisions of the Building Code and the regulations of the department, provided however that baths and showers equipped with balanced-pressure mixing valves, thermostatic mixing valves or combination pressure balancing/thermostatic valves may produce a discharge temperature less than one hundred twenty degrees Fahrenheit but in no event less than one hundred ten degrees Fahrenheit."

The water in my small building certainly isn't a constant 110 degrees farenheit. I rarely have to mix in cold water. I imagine this is common in small buildings.

Has anyone ever gotten an inspection done by the housing dept and forced their LL to rectify insufficient water heating?
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments