TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No lease - eviction?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

No lease - eviction?

Postby crisarc2000 » Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:10 am

i am a tenant in a williamsburg loft in the northside.
the landlord wants to evict me for being a month late on the rent.
we are artists + curators.
is it legal for them to evict us on being a month or 2 late?
i teach art to high school students in a low income area of brooklyn,
and was recently laid off with no compensation.
so yes, due to unforseen situations, we will be one or 2 months behind in the rent...
is it possible for the landlords to kick us out?
what are the laws about eviction from lofts?
we do not even have a lease or any kind of signed agreement as to how much the rent is, or when the rent is due.

what can 2 creative people do, to keep from being evicted?

thank you.
a williamsburger trying to stay that way...
peace out.
crisarc2000

Re: No lease - eviction?

Postby ChrisG » Tue Oct 15, 2002 8:31 am

i think many landlords threaten tenants with the word 'eviction' but it's really a lot of trouble to go through with it. it costs time and money, and it can take months to actually oust a tenant once and for all. that said, you still have to pay your rent. it would be nice if the landlord was compassionate about your situation, but it should be expected that he'd want his money. by not having a lease you're a month-to-month tenant, so the landlord can ask you to leave with only 30 days notice. in fact, if he is talking eviction that almost could be a sign he wants you to get your act together and pay the back rent, since he cold just say "you have 30 days and that's final". then again, if you don't pay, he'll have to start the eviction process, one way or another.

so even creative people will have to pay their rent. if the landlord isn't flexible, you may have to find another place. and in the mean time, maybe you should visit a temp agency or something. if you can get a job, your problem could be solved.
ChrisG

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments