TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breaking the Lease - construction next door

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Breaking the Lease - construction next door

Postby dmitriny » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:59 am

Recently I found myself living in the middle of a major construction site (W64 & Broadway) with all of it's noise (7am - 6pm), dirt, and all the other "pleasant" things usually associated with construction. I tried to cope, but living there is just becoming completely unbearable. Can I break the lease (expires in September) because I was never informed that this construction was about to happen?

Thanks in advance, Dmitri
dmitriny

Re: Breaking the Lease - construction next door

Postby Lilly » Wed May 01, 2002 7:15 pm

They're doing it in your building or just next to you? NYC is one big construction site, esp around Lincoln Center. Unless your apartment is being breached, or essential services are being interrupted(electricuty, water) then my guess is that you're stuck till your lease runs out.
Lilly

Re: Breaking the Lease - construction next door

Postby wfu_jent_2001 » Fri May 03, 2002 1:49 pm

I'm not sure if you can break your lease, but you may be able to make your life a little more comfortable. The company doing the construction may have been required to give notice to residents within a certain distance and can only operate within a certain time frame. Hold them to it - you may be able to get some money back. I went through the same thing with my last apartment and I feel your pain - it's miserable! Try talking to your landlord about getting money back, or organize the tenants if they're all bothered...make a big enough stink and be persistent enough, and something might happen for you. Good luck
wfu_jent_2001

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments