TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

landlord requires 60 days notice at end of annual lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

landlord requires 60 days notice at end of annual lease

Postby kenhjudy » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:54 am

Hi,

My landlord wants me to sign an annual lease with a rider that requires 60 days notice before the end of the lease of my intent to move or renew.

The lease however doesn't revise his requirement to give me notice of changes to the terms or rent of a renewal which is also 60 days.

I know this is probably just sloppiness on his part but of course I'm not willing to sign a lease that supposedly allows him to give me no notice of rent increases.

Is it unusual for a landlord to require 60 days notice in this state? Seems like I'm likely to lose my deposit since I can't imagine signing a lease on a new apartment 60 days before I take occupancy.

What should I do to ensure in writing I get 30 days notice? Ask him to remove the rider and go back to 30 days or give him the option of increases his notification of changes to 90 days before the end of the new lease?

-- howards
kenhjudy

Re: landlord requires 60 days notice at end of annual lease

Postby too trusting » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:55 am

Ask for which ever you prefer, 30 or 60. If you go with 60 tell him you would like the same notice from him as well and have him write that in. The more notice you have the more prepared you will be if asked to move.
too trusting

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments