TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Building Mgr runs off with money

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Building Mgr runs off with money

Postby myfairnicki » Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:52 am

I'm a first time renter and new in the city. When I moved in in September, I signed a lease with the building manager (not the LL). In fact, I had never met the LL until he showed up this January to tell me that the BM never gave him the security deposit check that we paid and ran off with this month's rent.

My questions are: Is the lease legal since we signed with the BM?

Can the landlord charge me again for the security deposit? Will I get it back?

Do I have to pay rent in cash (which is what I have been asked to do since I moved in) or does the LL have to except a check?
myfairnicki

Re: Building Mgr runs off with money

Postby Chimera » Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:37 am

Leases signed by building managers are binding, since the buidling manager represents the landlord. I hope you got receipts from the buidling manager so you can prove that you did pay (never ever pay cash without getting receipts for anything!)

As far as the security deposit and rent that have disappeared, it really depends on your situation. Has the landlord even asked for you to pay a new deposit and rent, or is he aware of the fact that the building manager stole it? You might end up in court, or the landlord might go after the building manager.

You don't have to pay rent in cash. Your landlord can ask for you to do so since he prefers it, which is fine, but he must accept money orders and personal checks as well. I suspect you were asked to pay with cash since you moved in because the manager was planning on running off with your payments.
Chimera

Re: Building Mgr runs off with money

Postby NYCkid » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:40 am

Sorry, but PT Barnum once said... well anyway. Wisen up, its not about being amicable. It is about using your noggin. Always make sure to have a paper trail unless there is a specific reason why YOU dont want there to be one.

The building manager screwed the LL more than he screwed you. I hope you have reciepts to prove this.
NYCkid

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments