TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breaking a lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Breaking a lease

Postby ausdemfenster » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:10 pm

I need to find a way to break my lease, preferably legally and in such a way that I can get my security deposit back from the awful landlord.

The background: I rented a loft in Williamsburg for an August 15th move-in. Upon move-in and for a month and a half afterward, our apartment had no gas or mailboxes. During this time, workers would periodically be let in to our apartment during the day to do repairs/finish the apartment when we weren't home, and we would not be notified in advance of these workmen (we only knew they'd been there when we found a can of glue on our kitchen table and one of their sweatshirts on the floor). A camera and a small amount of cash went missing from a drawer during this time.

Last week someone broke into our apartment and stole $4000 worth of belongings. Police said it looked like someone with a key, though out landlord adamantly denies that he or the super (who also has a key) have ever given anyone access without being there with them. We are completely fed up with the situation and want to find a way out without losing even more money than we already have.

Any help would be thoroughly appreciated.
ausdemfenster

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments