TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Apt. not ready by lease date: what are my rights?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Apt. not ready by lease date: what are my rights?

Postby cusherb » Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:39 pm

Hello,

After viewing an apartment in the midst of renovation and receiving countless verbal promises that it would be ready for move-in on the first of the month, I signed a lease and paid first/last/sec. deposit for it. However, when the new month arrived, the place wasn't finished, and the landlord could not give me a definite date when it would be ready. Accordingly, I have been in another one of his properties forcibly (ie I never voluntered to go, I'm only there because I have nowhere else to go) until my leased apt. is ready. This place is in a dangerous neighborhood and the apt. is falling apart -- not the best situation.

My landlord verbally agreed to refund money from when I wasn't in one of his places, and to hire a moving service for the second move into my leased apartment. However, when I tried to ask him to put that in writing, he told me that I would have sign a statement which would fully settle the dispute (and end all avenue of complaint), or else to speak with his lawyers.

I want to ensure that these promises are kept and that I am refunded all rent money paid until the time I'm in my leased apartment (not just until I'm in one of his properties). But I don't know much about the law surrounding this.

What are my rights as a tenant, after my landlord has broken his end of the contract regarding move-in date? What are the common concessions to which I am entitled? I eventually want to live in my leased apartment because I think it's worth it; I just also want to protect myself and receive due compensation. Plus, are there any hotlines which might be helpful for me to call?

Thanks.
cusherb

Re: Apt. not ready by lease date: what are my rights?

Postby unafaery » Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:47 am

http://www.neighborhoodlaw.org/tenants.htm

Visit the above site. According to them you can get all your money back - no questions asked.
unafaery

Re: Apt. not ready by lease date: what are my rights?

Postby lappert » Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:09 pm

Except that site is not in NY. Geez.
lappert

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments