TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

please help asap..30 day notice of termination

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

please help asap..30 day notice of termination

Postby akhoy » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:26 pm

I live in my current apartment for over two and half years. I just recently found out that I have a new landlord. I had for the first time problems of very hot rooms since the new LL moved the thermostat for whole building from my appartment to basement. This problem took over two months to be fixed and in the meanwhile I was calling the manager frequently to give him feedback to the "changes to the Thermostat setting". Anyhow they increased my rent from 1800 to 2000 in the same time and I responded that they need to fix the heat problem before I would pay the increased rent. In fact I paid 1600 last month for the first month.
finally the heat was fixed but now I got a CHristmas letter telling me to get out of the appartment within 30 days. Unfortunately I have a month to month lease..
what would you suggest? anybody with similar experience? can he do this lawfully?
akhoy

Re: please help asap..30 day notice of termination

Postby Chimera » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:19 pm

My advice to you would be to move out within the allotted 30 days. You have no lease, and he is completely within his rights to end your month-to-month tenancy whenever he wants, as long as he follows procedure, which he is certainly doing.

Withholding 400 dollars from your rent within the first few months that he owns the buidling is sending him a message that you are going to cause him trouble in the future, too.

If you like living there and you really want to stay, I would suggest that you pay all of your withheld rent immediately and explain to him that you would like to continue residing there to show him that you will be cooperative in the future.

A month-to-month tenancy is a tenuous agreement that can be terminated with little notice, it isn't wise to rock the boat over minor issues (unless you don't mind moving.) Many tenants would be all too happy to have the problem of too MUCH heat! ;)
Chimera

Postby Chimera » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:21 pm

My advice to you would be to move out within the allotted 30 days. You have no lease, and he is completely within his rights to end your month-to-month tenancy whenever he wants, as long as he follows procedure, which he is certainly doing.

Withholding 400 dollars from your rent within the first few months that he owns the buidling is sending him a message that you are going to cause him trouble in the future, too.

If you like living there and you really want to stay, I would suggest that you pay all of your withheld rent immediately and explain to him that you would like to continue residing there to show him that you will be cooperative in the future.

A month-to-month tenancy is a tenuous agreement that can be terminated with little notice, it isn't wise to rock the boat over minor issues (unless you don't mind moving.) Many tenants would be all too happy to have the problem of too MUCH heat! ;)
Chimera

Postby sharonlreed2000 » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:31 am

Too much heat.Where!? MY apartment is so cold but my landlord seems to think that it is all in my head because he swears that the thermostate is set to 75. Yeah um...right. I guess if you cant see your breath it isnt cold. Fortunatly when I see the other tenents I say things like,isnt it cold or wow we only got heat twice yesterday and I get them fired up and we all complain and things do get a little better. Why do I live this way you might ask. My rent is 550.00 per month,you cant beat it.
sharonlreed2000

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments