TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

land lord access that overides tenants protection

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

land lord access that overides tenants protection

Postby jay » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:24 pm

please clarify if any one knows the enforceability of a clause in my lease that is so ridiculous as in many clauses that it would circumvent rights I have.
Essentially, it states the landlord may inspect the apartment at any reasonable(to him) time.No emergency need to be specified(although this was addressed in court). If tenant is not there landlord may use a master key or enter by force if tenant has changed the lock. furthermore,the landlord may break in to show the apartment from within six months of the end of the lease. I have always viewed this as as illegal clause,much in the way i would not be allowed to put blinds in my apartment a clause that is also in this lease.
Basically,it is an all out harassment right clause on the part of landlord. No where in the term of reasonability, is any level of fair notice to the tenant even acknowledged. and you could best believe, that with your key, landlord would think even less about entering at his whim. As I am looking into criminal harassment charges against this individual,and have gone on record with the authorities about the landlord's tactics,i need to be reasonably assured that this is America, and one can not waive their rights in an illegal clause.any info appreciated

<small>[ December 17, 2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: jay ]</small>
jay

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments