TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

electrical code?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

electrical code?

Postby sloaneP » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:05 pm

does anyone know what the electrical code standards are? i have 1 15amp fuse for my entire apartment (located in the basement, no less) and now my landlord has locked the basement. can i force her to upgrade the electrical system? other tenants have circuit breakers, but not all.

thanks.
sloaneP

Re: electrical code?

Postby joliett » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:24 pm

The NYC electrical codes are very complex...it can take years to learn and interpret the code properly. In your case, your electrical service may or may not be legal, depending on the age of your apartment and any appliances supplied by the landlord. Some refrigerators consume about 12 amps, light bulbs 1 amp, TV about 2 amps. Add them all up and then dont go over your 15 amp fuse.

You can read about the NYC Electrical Code by going to my website, clicking on LINKS, and scroll down to the LINK for the NYC Electrical Code and other Building Codes.

You may be able to force this issue with your landlord...and/or the appropriate city agencies...

<small>[ December 14, 2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Joel Teicher, P.E. ]</small>
Joel Teicher, P.E.
www.TenantEngineer.com
joliett

Postby HS77 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:22 pm

Older apqartments really have no "juice" to keep up with the demands some tenants may place on the lines for an apartment. Some older apartments have about 20 amps, and one circuit breaker for the whole apartment. This was sufficient and generous for operating a refrigerator, supplying the apartment with lights, and a radio, and such. Times have changed. A tenant really can not buy a high powered AC unit and then bitch to the landlord to do an electrical upgrade. They are supposed to ask the landlord what sort of AC to buy for their apartment, because the landlord would know what load best suites the supply of the line feeding the apartment.

New apartments being renovated have over 50 - 60 amps of power, and a 220 high amp plug for ACs. and tenants should not have a problem pretty much operating anything short of a tanning salon within their apartments. It all depends upon where and what your living in, and when it was built.
HS77

Postby TenantNet » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:39 pm

Yes, many units still have 15 amps, and can be grandfathered (as in not requiring upgrades by law). However some things might trigger a need for an upgrade. But what was not answered in the OP's question is that the fuse/CB is in the basement and off limits to the tenant. Con Ed likes this as it's easier to read meters. The tenant might have a right to be able to access the fusebox, or demand a 24-hour accessible super. However, haven't seen any cases on that. Joel, you know the answer to that?

As for 15 amps, that's what I have and am able to survive. It's part of an old system when the fused the neutral (I'm not kidding). But as a former electrician, I'm somewhat adept at balancing/watching the loads. Rarely blows.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby HS77 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:16 pm

Hmmmmm, interesting point. Yes, many basements are locked away from tenants, and usually the super will give access to the tenant in case of a blown fuse.

Larger buildings have a 24 hour super. Usually smaller buildings may have a tenant who blows a fuse, and then does not have access to a locked basement. Usually, in a case like this, i have seen landlords entrusting a certain tenant, as an acting super who may take out the garbage and perform simple cleaning for a rent reduction. This person would have the key. By law somebody at the premises has top have the key, as each building has a sign saying where the key to the heating system is. Usually this is in the basement with the boiler and meters.

Back in the 60's many buildings switched over from fuses to circuit breakers to prevent fires.

If there is no key, NYPD will come and knock dowwn the basement door, and replace the fuse, or flip the breaker. I know because i have seen it happen many a times. NYPD will issue the landlord a slip where NYC will pay for the new basement door. If they do not issue that slip, landlord should go down to the precinct and get it from them to get a new basement door.
HS77

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments