TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

help with weird LL situation?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

help with weird LL situation?

Postby cole » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:43 pm

This i a long and wierd situation. I rent an apt in queens in a 3 family house. i have a lease. about the end of nov my landlord moved out. I had no way to reach her. Then she came by and told us many differnt story about what is going on. the heat went the water piped broke. she fixed nothing made a report to 311. she showed up fixed heat said man with her would be back to fix pipes. never retured. then two weeks go by and now someone is moving in upstairs(old LL apt)new tentants tell me the rented the apt and give me the name of the LL which is a phoney name. anotheer 2 weeks go by now a man shows up says he is new owner and we all need to move, and i releize that he is the man that came to fix the pipes. they all know each other some way. He shows a deed to the tenants upstairs but the name is of his daughter and the sign is of my LL phoney name. Now he is making the downstaris into an apt (which i know is illegal) and say he is moving in with his family and getting us to move out. He shows me no ID i dont know what to do. I know this must be some kind of scam...what should i do?
cole

Re: help with weird LL situation?

Postby Phil Cohen » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:56 pm

It is weird--and also difficult to understand. How long does your lease run? The LL can't just "tell you to leave" if you have a lease. What reason does he give?
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Postby cole » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:37 pm

It is very strange. and i tried to shorten the story and just give the highlights. The LL didnt say to leave this man who showed up without any proff did
cole

Postby Phil Cohen » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:18 pm

Well, then you should probably ignore him--and change the locks.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments