TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

no stove, no heat

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

no stove, no heat

Postby mm0527 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:59 pm

the issue: i found out after i moved in that the gas pipe running to the new bldg that i am living in is not big enough to support the appropriate amount of heat to the 4 apts. in this bldg. also, because of this the gas stove in my apt does not work. although the mgmt co. has provided a space heater & a hotplate. i would like to know my leagl rights. i have sent a letter letting them know of my dissatisfaction of these issues and have also informed them that i would be withholding rent until everything is fixed. in the process i also checked in with the dept of bldgs. in bklyn, and i found out the certifiacte of occupancy has not been completely signed off on. my questions: is this illegal then to have tenants living here at all? how do i request for a rent decrease legally, since my LL is not cooperating.
mm0527

Re: no stove, no heat

Postby sabrina » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:34 am

Without a C of O, the LL can't legally rent out the apartment and collect money. The fact that there are things wrong in the apartment mught be the major reason there is no C of O.

Perhaps you might work with the other tenants to get the LL to fix the building's problems so that a C of O can be issued. If all tenants withhold rent or put it into a escrow account, the LL might be forced into making the necessary improvements. A tenant advocacy group might be of help.
sabrina

Re: no stove, no heat

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:50 am

This doesn't sound right. Licensed plumbers and heating compaines know the requirements of apartment buildings, and pipes come in standard sizes. Any contractor who installed an inadequate system would probably be sued. And, even if the gas line can't support heat and cooking gas, one would presume it could support one or the other.

Most likely your building simply doesn't have gas, the gas lines aren't installed, or it's pending inspection.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments