TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Do I have to pay for this?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Do I have to pay for this?

Postby virlib75 » Sat Nov 09, 2002 1:44 pm

I recently moved out of a private home where I lived in the basement apt with a roommate. I lived there for 4 years and recently moved out, but the roommate stayed and got another roommate to replace me. About 2 years ago I was burning a candle in a glass candle holder in the bathroom on the counter top. The heat went through the counter top and burned a hole in the top layer. My landlord is now replacing the top layer for my roommate and I recently got a message from her that I would be billed for the replacement since it was my candle that burned it. I was given my full deposit from my roommate who then recieved her half from the new roommate and the landlords just kept my deposit for theire deposit. I don't want my roomie to be stuck with that bill, and I I do feel responsible for what happened but is the landlord responsible for the bill to replace that or am I? Do I have any rights, or will I have to suck it up and pay up? Please help! :confused:
virlib75

Re: Do I have to pay for this?

Postby mjr203 » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:37 am

hmmmmm

well if you got your security back from that roommate then I think you could probably walk away from this... it was their responsibility in my eyes to charge you for eventual repair of that surface. If the roommate wants to replace it then let them pay for the repair. A small hole in the top may not be affecting the actual usability of the item, right?

but if you feel bad and want to help pay then here is how to perhaps go about doing so.

A) new kitchen or bathroom cabinet top surfaces are not expensive. if the LL is trying to charge you hundreds of $ to replace it -- that is bull. the replacement should be of the same quality that was there before.

B) the countertop in question had been used for x # of years of its useful life. It's value had depreciated and you should not be responsible for the full replacement value of a new surface.

Note: If this is a non-regulated apartment, the LL can charge whatever rent he wants to your old roommate at lease end so keep that in mind.

If I were you I would try to limit my exposure to this -- I mean you're gone already. But try to avoid going to court (small claims etc) as it is a royal pain in the behind.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments