TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Loft-Commercial Space-Subletting

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Loft-Commercial Space-Subletting

Postby dessert4u » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:41 pm

I am living in the Northside of Williamsburg in a converted wharehouse loft, top floor. I am not on a lease, but write rent checks to the main leaseholder who lives there with me and the other roommates. We get along, but my question is, do I have any rights being that I pay rent, but have no lease? The leaseholder, to my knowledge, does not pay rent and the 3 roommates who live there, (myself included) pay rent equal to more than the lease-a surplus of about $800. Is this legal? Could I be kicked out at any time even though I pay all bills on time? Now, we are being asked to pay for repairs to the washer/dryer that were there before I moved in. Is this a bum deal that I just have to live with, or is it extortion, or both?
Thanks for any information you may have.
dessert4u

Re: Loft-Commercial Space-Subletting

Postby Slumlord_victim » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:30 pm

If you broke the machine by putting rocks in it or kicking it repeatedly, then you should replace it. If normal wear and tear broke it, then your landlord (the dude who you pay) is responsible.

You pay for an apartment with washer, and that is not what you are getting. THough you have no lease, the moment that guy started cashing your checks he became your landlord and he has a legal obligation to keep the ammenaties uo to the condition they were when you started living there.
Slumlord_victim

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments