TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

My landlord is psycho and I don't have a current lease.

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

My landlord is psycho and I don't have a current lease.

Postby KTK » Wed May 08, 2002 1:16 am

I don't have a lease, it was only a 6 month lease and I have been living in this apt for 2 years. My landlord is certifiably crazy, he's even been hauled off by the pysch ward and police.
The problem is that screams at my roomate and I constantly trying to trigger a fight. He threatens to evict us all the time for no reason whatsoever. There is often not hot water and all the repairs he says he is going to do take forever. We put up with it because the rent is on the cheap side and we don't want to move. Can he evict us for no reason if we do not have a lease? I also worry that the $1000 we spent fixing up the apt. will not get paid back as promised if we get evicted. help...
KTK

Re: My landlord is psycho and I don't have a current lease.

Postby ChrisG » Wed May 08, 2002 9:07 am

since the lease has run out, you are a month-to-month tenant. this is fine as long as your situation is stable, which doesn't sound like the case here. your LL can as you to leave with 30 days' notice. if he really wanted you gone he would probably do that rather than go through the long involved process of true eviciton. he just wants to scare you most likely, to keep you in line. but it seems to me, with a LL like that, you ought to consider looking for a new place. not being on a lease also means you can get out with 30 days' notice as well.
ChrisG

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments