TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

written notice of rent increase

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

written notice of rent increase

Postby Ali » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:35 pm

When my landlady raised the rent by 20% on my non-stabilized apartment, she gave me 3 weeks notice via telephone. After having no luck finding another apartment (this was three years ago), I stupidly caved and signed the new lease she sent me, then proceeded to hand half my paycheck over to her until I moved a year later. I've just learned (from this site) that she was required to give me 30 days notice in writing. Is it too late to take her to court?

She also refused to paint the apartment at any time, or repair the bum window that nearly sliced my arm off, or make any other needed repairs.

Thanks.
Ali

Re: written notice of rent increase

Postby Anna » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:46 pm

"I stupidly caved and signed the new lease she sent me, then proceeded to hand half my paycheck over to her until I moved a year later. I've just learned (from this site) that she was required to give me 30 days notice in writing. Is it too late to take her to court? "

YES. you signed a contract.

"She also refused to paint the apartment at any time, or repair the bum window that nearly sliced my arm off, or make any other needed repairs."

Statute of limitations on warranty of habitability is six years. Learn about that subject on tenant.net. You can sue her for a rent abatment in Small Claims for up to $5000. Learn about SC on tenant.net.
Anna

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments