TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

no lease, big problem

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

no lease, big problem

Postby no lease » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:25 am

just to preview this... I am poor. So when I found an apartment in Manhattan for $450 that was in a clean building with most things working, I grabbed it. The only thing is that - I pay in cash and have no lease. Which has not been a problem til now. I have been selected to interview for something called an 80/20 program (new building - 20% of the units have to go to low income). Now I have to provide the people who manage this program with lease (or equivallent) and rent receipts and my "landlord" says no no no. I am desperate for some advice, if anyone has any.
no lease

Re: no lease, big problem

Postby geoffnet7 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:57 pm

The only reason I can think of for the rent being so low in a Manhattan apartment is if the building is rent stabilized. What this means is that you don't need a lease to be a tenant there, however it sounds like the landlord is shady and not playing by the rules. Also every tenant has a legal right to a receipt if they request it in writing. I realize this doesn't help you right now. Call the DHCR at 718-739-6400 to find out if your building's rent stabilized. If it is get a rent history sent to you, make sure it's the history back to 1984. If you are stabilized then you have a whole host of rights that will allow you to force the landlord into a)giving you a lease, b)getting rent receipts etc etc etc. If not, the I'd explain the situation to the 80/20 people and try to get a written statement of recommendation from the landlord stating that you always paid your rent on time, and all that good stuff. Anything that makes you look like a good tenant is helpful.
geoffnet7

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments