TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Non-regulation and general rights

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Non-regulation and general rights

Postby MG1923 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:46 am

This is a re-post of an earlier question so it may look familiar:
I've lived, for 10 years, in an nonregulated, 4 family browstone in Brooklyn. I am aware that I am not protected by stabilization laws that limit rent increases and that my rent can be increased to any amount.
In general, though,is every law in every area that pertains to stabilized apartment dwellers not applicable to non-stabilized apartment dwellers?
Two of many questions I have are:
1)If my landlord plans to increase my rent with next renewal lease, must he give me advance notice of the amount and how much notice must he give? If he does not provide sufficient notice, at what point does the new rent become effective?
2)Regarding security deposits:My understanding is that, regardless of stabilization status, a landlord cannot intermingle tenant security deposits with his own money.How can I obtain proof as to whether the landlord has or has not done so, as well as proof as to whether the landlord has voluntarily placed the deposit in an interest-bearing account, thereby entitling me to the interest?
Thanks for any info.
MG1923

Re: Non-regulation and general rights

Postby ChrisG » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:22 pm

1) have you been renewing a lease every year? if you ar emonth-to-month, the LL needs to give at least 30 days' notice

2) not sure if there are 'disclosure' laws related to deposits; i think you should assume that the LL is doing what he is supposed to with the deposit (although after 10 years, the interest might really add up!).
ChrisG

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments