Smart minds needed - Dilemma - to pay unjust rent or wit

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Smart minds needed - Dilemma - to pay unjust rent or wit

Postby Syd_stocks » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:13 pm

A real dilemma - I hope one of the
smart people here can help me out.

Background:
My unregulated $4000 / mth lease expires March 31. I need to leave the country prior to the end of January.

Originally I applied for a 2 year lease to January 31 2003. The landlord actually prepared a 2 years 2 month lease. When I queried my asshole agent (who I paid $5000 to), he said don't worry and just sign as with 3 months notice I could get out of the lease. Stupidly I signed - later realizing the 3 mth notice was a lie and the landlord just wanted the renewal to fall in a better period.

Main problem:

Looks like I will loose my $8000 security deposit as a sublet looks difficult. I'm worried about the landlord making it difficult to move out with rent owing.

Questions:

1. Should I pay or withhold January 03 rent - I could withhold and if I stay to end January my net loss is only $4000. ($8000 bond less Jan rent).
2. If I withhold can the landlord stop me moving out by being difficult ie not letting me use the goods lift to get furniture out of the building etc.
3. As my visa expires in January would this make the Feb / March portion illegal as any illegal portion of the lease is disregarded (a long shot!). Landlord knew this when the lease was signed.
4. Any other good ideas???? I probably have an action against my agent who pressured me into a longer lease than I needed.
Syd_stocks

Re: Smart minds needed - Dilemma - to pay unjust rent or wit

Postby Schmuckler » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:16 am

Do not pay the rent! What they did was shitty and they knew it. Since you are moving out anyway, you have nothing to loose, if the landlord tries to stop or interfere with your move call the police, they will tell the landlord (what he already knows) that he has to take you to court, he cannot terrorize you or you can sue him!! He won't take you to court , it costs too much money, and he won't be able to find you!
Schmuckler

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments