TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Breach of contract: Next step(s)???

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Breach of contract: Next step(s)???

Postby jhenkin » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:52 am

My landlord and I were involved in a dispute due to his commencing renovation of my apartment without permission during my tenancy (holes in walls, etc). Thru his lawyer, we agreed that I wouldn't pay rent until certain problems were rectified. Finally, due to problems not changing, I proposed I move out. The lawyer drafted an agreement such that I would receive my last month rent and security deposit ($3850) upon apartment surrender. The apartment was surrendered, and the landlord is now fraudulently claiming $650 in damage (I paid $1700 to fix the floors on move-in), and due to my resistance is now refusing to release the check for $3850. He's now changed the locks and begun major reconstruction of the unit (obvious acceptance/receipt of surrender).

I am still working with his attorney based on the obvious breach of a written agreement in place...but if he just refuses - which I now expect, what court process is available to me? Where do I start? How much can I expect to recover (is there a limit)?

BTW, just so that others can avoid this landlord, his name is Kami Merabi. He is dishonest.
jhenkin

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments