TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

25% rent increase

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

25% rent increase

Postby Kermit » Tue May 07, 2002 5:58 pm

My landlord is elderly and hasn't raised the rent in 3 years. Now his son is taking over and wants to make up for that by raising the rent by $250 a month. Are there any regulations prohibiting him from doing that?

Since the landlord hasn't raised the rent, I haven't requested any improvements or repairs. When I mentioned that to the son and said that if I was going to pay $250 more for the place, I would want a list of things repaired, he said he would raise it $500 then. What can I do? Thanks
Kermit

Re: 25% rent increase

Postby lappert » Tue May 07, 2002 8:41 pm

Make sure you get double the repairs. Seriously, if you aren't regulated the landlord can raise the rent to whatever he wants, but only at the end of the lease, or after 30 days notice if you have no lease. You could also go to the father and explain the situation, that the son is out of control, that you've been a good tenant and you don't want troubles, but fair is fair. Tell him you would be willing to pay a reasonable increase, but certain things are in need of repairs. See if diplomacy and negotiations can do the trick.
lappert

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments