TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Board trying to prevent me from moving out

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Board trying to prevent me from moving out

Postby Titian » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:31 am

I am currently renting an apartment in a co-op building, lease up April 30. (An FYI, this is one of those incredibly difficult boards that makes life difficult for everybody.) I came home last night to find a notice slipped under my door that says the doormen and porters may be going on strike April 20, and that therefore "move-ins, move-outs and deliveries are prohibited" during the strike. I'm hoping it will be resolved by 4/30, but if not can they stop me from moving out? There is no discussion of compensating people who are inconvenienced by this rule, and I don't see how they can "prohibit" me from moving out if that's what I want to do. Can they call the police if I just move ahead as planned? Thanks for any thoughts.
Titian

Re: Board trying to prevent me from moving out

Postby mjr203 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:40 am

So what is the penalty for transgression?

Taking $ from your security deposit? How can they do that if the deposit is held by the apt. owner?
If those employees are on strike who will tell you what you can and cannot do?

Is there a freight elevator in the building? Is it operable without staff on-hand?

You can probably do what you want to do but if the elevator is unavailable then you might be in a bad spot.

btw for more info about the union, go here: http://www.seiu32bj.org/

interesting question, let us know what happens
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments