TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Security Deposit Question/Comments

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Security Deposit Question/Comments

Postby hsansom » Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:23 pm

I'm having trouble getting my former landlord to return my security deposit. (The apartment was left in good condition.) I have some questions (and one thing I've learned at the end) for anyone interested:

1. Is there any way to determine whether a particular landlord has a history of not returning security deposits?

2. Are the records or transcripts of Small Claims Courts in the public domain, so we can review past cases involving security deposits.?

3. Am I right in thinking that landlords are in a win win situation (and we the tenants are pretty much in a lose lose)? That is, if a landlord just tries to keep the deposit, the worst that can happen to him is that he is told to pay what he owed. There can be no claim for further damages. (For example, if the landlord stole your old $1500 car, he'd be guilty of a felony. But if he steals your $1500 deposit, he's guilty of nothing and only needs to return it.)

Finally, the one thing I've learned: File a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General first. If you go to Small Claims Court first, the Attorney General cannot intervene thereafter. (Got this straight from the OAG.)

--h.
hsansom

Re: Security Deposit Question/Comments

Postby mjr203 » Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:39 pm

it's really messed up isn't it

time and time again since I started learning about LL-tenant law I am shocked how tenants are screwed over and particularly how LLs can basically get away with theft.

I cannot believe i paid my last month rent. Never again.

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Re: Security Deposit Question/Comments

Postby halfiejules » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:37 pm

I'm in a similar situation as you. I moved out of my apartment on June 30th, and left it in decent condition. Upon a cursory inspection of the place my landlord told me I'd be getting my full deposit back (around $2000), but then informed me on the phone a little while later that she deemed the apartment "a dump" the way we had left it and would be withholding part of the deposit. Meanwhile 2 months have elapsed and I have received neither a check nor a phone call or email from her.

I appreciate your advice about filing a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General, but how do I do this? I checked out the website and couldn't find a "file a complaint" button anywhere.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
halfiejules

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments