TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

fire escapes and front door

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

fire escapes and front door

Postby mjr203 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:27 am

The building I now live in has un recently painted rusting fire escapes (front & back) and a building front door & frame & casement whose paint has completely deteriorated (chipped, cracked, ugly, down to bare wood).

I believe it is a code violation on the fire escapes and I want to bring it up with my LL some where down the road. What about the front door? Does that fall under "Sec. 27-2013 Painting of public parts and within dwellings"?

any thoughts?
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Re: fire escapes and front door

Postby mjr203 » Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:05 pm

Originally posted by me again:
maybe there was a typo, but, how could painting a door be a code violation? was it the way that he did it?
it's that it is not painted. It looks like the front door was last painted in 1980.

-POINTER
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby ChrisG » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:24 am

can you clarify that? how can a fire escape not be needed? if there is only one means of exit from a given apartment there has to be a fire escape, right?
ChrisG

Postby mjr203 » Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:29 am

Originally posted by FairSpectator:
that fire escape is probably not needed and does not need to be painted...most fire escapes i think are not required for today's standards
do you work for the Housing Department? :roll:

If there is a fire on the ground floor how will I get out of the apartment? hmmmm?
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Postby TenantNet » Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:13 pm

On the door - it's not so much as when it was last painted, but is it in good condition. If not, then it must be repaired/painted.

On the fire escape, it's either the Housing Maintenance Code or Multiple Dwelling Law that requires fire escapes to be painted every five years (and something about contrasting colors). Probably a safety issue so they don't rust where a person using the fire escape would find a step that breaks off from the frame due to rust.

Units need two means of egress. That's the law, whether it's a fire escape or otherwise. If two interior means are provided, they must be separated by a fire wall. Some buildings are allowed to forego fire escapes if they are sprinklered.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments