TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Finding a new tenant

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Finding a new tenant

Postby nycgirl25 » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:26 pm

My roommate and I asked our LL to break the lease, but instead he's requiring us to assign the lease to a new tenant or be responsible for the rent. The lease ends 6/30/03. I've posted on several websites and have only had a few people take a look at the place. Does anyone have suggestions on how to better advertise? Also, if I move 3/1/03 (the date on the letter we gave to our LL), can the LL require me to pay rent until June if a new tenant is not found??
Thanks.
nycgirl25

Re: Finding a new tenant

Postby NYCkid » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:13 pm

Maybe contact some brokers to see if they would take it on? I dont see why they would not since the tenant would get a lease and they would get their percentage from the tenant.
NYCkid

Re: Finding a new tenant

Postby Chimera » Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:44 am

Great idea, NYCkid. Sometimes brokers have tenants already waiting and willing to rent your apartment. Contact local brokers and tell them about your place! Unfortunately it's really slow in the winter but things should start picking up around March. Taking out an ad in the local paper is also a worthwhile investment.

As for your lease. . . yes, you are completely liable for the rent until June. You signed a contract, you can't be free of obligation just because you feel like it! You are fortunate that your landlord is allowing you to assign your lease to begin with. If you don't want to lose money, use every avenue available to you in order to find a new tenant.
Chimera

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments