TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question about security depsosit.

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Question about security depsosit.

Postby ghor » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:38 am

I've got a question about my security deposit. My landlord is trying to keep the whole thing for a variety of reasons... all bad.

1. He's trying to hold me to 2 weeks additional rent which I didn't agree to and where he has someone else actually living there!

2. There's a burn on the formica counter top... here's why I don't think I'm responsible even though I "caused" the burn... I hope i don't lose people in the technicalities - and I hope I'm right. I hope someone can say "yes" or "no".

There is a small 4 burner stove in the kitchen. The formica countertop goes right up to the stove. However, the stove is SUNKEN and the largest burner is right next to the countertop. Any countertop installer will tell you that a stove has to be a half inch ABOVE the countertop... I used a regular size frying pan... it never touched the countertop, I didn't spill anything on the countertop it was just the heat from the pan... I think of this the same way as if the landlord left a bucket of paint ontop of the closet door and then tried to charge me when I opened the door.

Is this right?

I need help... I'm a very honest person and I really beleive I'm right here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ghor

Re: Question about security depsosit.

Postby mjr203 » Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:45 am

evidence your statements and take it to small claims court. if you show photographic evidence and explain yourself to the judge/arbitrator, I can see how they would not hold you liable.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments