TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord changed front door locks with no notice

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord changed front door locks with no notice

Postby rmoon » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:47 am

Our landlord changed the front door locks to the building late Friday night without giving any notice or distributing the new keys to anyone.

No one in the building (lower Manhattan, not rent regulated, 9 apartments) has any idea what is going on. People have to ring someone's buzzer to get into the building, even if it is 4am...

Our rent has always been paid up on time. No one's apartment door locks have changed, just the front two doors.

What are our rights? Can we demand the landlord compensate us for reduction in services?
rmoon

Re: Landlord changed front door locks with no notice

Postby Chimera » Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:05 pm

I'm not sure about your 'right' to be compensated for 'reduction of services', but I am pretty sure that he is required by law to provide you with a key to your front door! Has he refused when you or other tenants ask for a copy?
Chimera

Postby HAJ77 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:06 am

Illegal Eviction is a link from TenantNet explaining NYPD procedure for an illegal eviction. Basically, it's a criminal act with both criminal and civil penalties.
HAJ77

Postby rmoon » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:21 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied.

In the end, the landlord was just a disorganized jerk who changed the front door locks without bothering to notify anyone and then neglected to distribute the keys to his tenants for two whole days. Apparently posting a sign would have cramped his style.

So I have a key to the front door. But needless to say I'll be leaving as soon as I find another place.
rmoon

Postby mjr203 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:12 pm

If this is the first time your LL has done something dumb like this, maybe you should cut him some slack.

If you think this is part of a pattern of stupidity and abuse maybe you should think about a new place to live but bottom line that decision should rest on your rent, are you happy there and what else you can find...

just my 2 cents.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments