TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Non-Renewal of Lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Non-Renewal of Lease

Postby renee » Sun May 02, 2004 11:38 pm

I currently reside in a co-op builiding, consisting of 60 units. I signed a two year lease, with a two month security deposit, which expired 5/1. Several months ago, my managment company sent me a new lease to renew my tenancy. I did not agree with some of the terms of the lease (price increase). I spoke to several individuals at the company, asked for resolution and stated that I would like to renew the lease. I never heard back and one week prior to the expiration of my lease, I recieved a non-renewal of lease letter. This letter stated that the management company would like to reclaim ownership of the unit. I was then asked to sign a month to month lease, however I feel it waives all of my rights as a tenant. I was also told that I may be given two months to find a new apartment and my lease states that the landlord must give four months for tenant vacancy. Is this still valid, since my lease expired 5/1? I'm also concerned that I did not receive a rent check to submit my rent payment. Should I pay it anyway? Does anyone know what tenancy rights apply in this situation??? Any thoughts...

Also-
At the present time, under 10 units are owned. I found out that they will place 24 units for sale. Potential buyers have not seen the apartment yet. :(

<small>[ May 02, 2004, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: renee ]</small>
renee

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments