TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

shared meter, unhealthy living considion

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

shared meter, unhealthy living considion

Postby sp11360 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:26 pm

shared meter. I live in queens new york in a triplex. Building is occupied by landlord on top floor, my family and I on 2nd, another tenant on first floor. There is also an apartment in the basement with no independant meter occupied by a man and his dog. I recently found out that I have been paying for all common area's electricity. Common area being: hallway and stairway lights, basement lights that are on 24 hours a day for the sake of the tenant. Basement also has a busy dryer and a washer and a working refrigerator, 3 hot water boiler for the 3 apartments, except the basement apt. Most of all there is a 1700 watt electric heater in the hallway next to entrace door that was on constantly during the cold weather. Please note that everything in this building is electric, heat, oven and stove, and occupant's of each apartment are responsible for their usage of electric. After ConEd inspector investigated the situation, ConEd placed an assessment of $2300 which is not enough since they failed to include the BASEMENT totally and possibly the apartment in the basement (inspector could not investigate the apartment, no one was there at the time and landlord would not let the inspector in). Landlord appealed the fine to the Dept. of Public Service and they reduced the assessment to $550. In his letter he said the he lives on social security and failed to mention that he collects approx $4500 each month in rent. He also did not bring a licensed electrician to correct the situation. Rather he used his own handy man that has no license. I am not even sure if the situation is corrected and the extra burden haseen b removed totally from my meter.

I may be wrong but I consider stealing electricity a crime and punishable by law. Stealing is stealing no matter how it is done. His act cost me thousands of dollars over a period of more than two years and now he is getting away with a slap on the wrist. To make the matter worse he immediately increased my rent from 1650 to 1800 way too overpriced for an apartment like this. This aparartment and the building itself is old, run-down, smelly. He did a lot of construction, but in his own unit ony and we had to put up with the dirt and the felt. Another big problem I have here is roach infestation. I have been fighting it for two years and it has been a losing battle actually losing war because I am giving up. Landlord never, since I have been here, employed an exterminator to spray the building. When I complained, he brought a bucket of poison and told me to do it myself. I have been spraying poison every night that has created serious health issue for me and my family and my dog and the problem exists as bad as ever. I have been looking to move out because with this money I can get a really very nice aparment in this area but my problem is my dog.
I am still looking and will keep looking.

I am really upset first with ConEd for not filing a proper report, second with Dept. of Public Service for reducing the assessement and encouraging this kind of act. I also would like to report the unhealty living condition in this building, but I don't know where and what agency. Can I report his stealing to DA's office? Should I call Dept. of Health?

Need your advice. Really appreciate it. Thanks
sp11360

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments