TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

RENT INCREASE

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

RENT INCREASE

Postby furious » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:19 pm

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I have to say, what a great way to find out info and blast the nasty LL. My landlord decided to slap me with an increase of $216 by March. I live in a private two-family house and the agreement was supposed to be that after the kitchen and bathroom was renovated I would be increased by $116. (I could've lived with that). My landlord told me that since she is now on unemployment and her sister's SS check would be running out soon, that I will have to pay a higher rent. By the way...no repairs have even begun and at the rate her husband works, I'm sure it won't happen at all. I've called several places, but it seems I don't have many legal options I can follow through on, due to this being a private dwelling. I did write a letter to my Senator, and they are trying to see what they can do to help. Any suggestions???
furious

Re: RENT INCREASE

Postby HAJ77 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:27 pm

Do you have a written lease? If so, the LL is bound to those terms for that period of time, however after that they can introduce any increase they want.

Do you have this agreement for renovations in writing?

If you have nothing in writing and no lease, you have no legal options since you would be a month to month tenant and your LL can legally increase the rent or change the terms every 30 days.
HAJ77

Postby Chimera » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:27 pm

Sorry, this is a non-regulated apartment and the landlord can charge whatever he desires, as long as the increase is made at the start of a new lease, or at the start of a new month if you don't have a lease. If you end up causing a lot of trouble for your landlord, it is likely your lease will not be renewed, or that your month-to-month tenancy will be terminated. Best bet would be to express your desire to remain in the apartment, but also communicate your inability to pay such a high increase. Having an apartment vacant while looking for a new tenant costs the landlord money, so if you try to comprimise with him, you might be able to get your old increase, or at the very least a comprimise between the two. Trying to 'blast' your landlord is only going to get your tenancy terminated.
Chimera

Postby mjr203 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:55 pm

Originally posted by Chimera:
Sorry, this is a non-regulated apartment and the landlord can charge whatever he desires, as long as the increase is made at the start of a new lease, or at the start of a new month if you don't have a lease. If you end up causing a lot of trouble for your landlord, it is likely your lease will not be renewed, or that your month-to-month tenancy will be terminated. Best bet would be to express your desire to remain in the apartment, but also communicate your inability to pay such a high increase. Having an apartment vacant while looking for a new tenant costs the landlord money, so if you try to comprimise with him, you might be able to get your old increase, or at the very least a comprimise between the two. Trying to 'blast' your landlord is only going to get your tenancy terminated.
sound advice

if they are trying to increase your rent mid-lease they are out of luck, but if you are month to month then a rent increase is the risk you run.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments