TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

can my landlord decide my roommate's acceptability?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

can my landlord decide my roommate's acceptability?

Postby bask » Thu May 01, 2003 9:06 am

I live in a building with less than six units. My roommate moved to China, and I told my landlord I needed I picked a new roommate and needed to give her that person's info. She then told me I couldn't have another roommate upon which I began a shouting match with her, as I don't feel like paying another $400 per month by her whimsy. Now that she is done toying with me, she is screening my potential roommates. Of course, I don't have a lease or anything and pay month-to-month. Is this legal?
And if what she is doing is not legal, if I simply move my roommate in, can she legally send me packing if I simply do what I am legally allowed to do?
bask

Re: can my landlord decide my roommate's acceptability?

Postby mjr203 » Thu May 01, 2003 9:37 am

you can have whatever roommate you want, she can't screen them.

but she can give you a 30 day notice any time she wants to. that's the downside of being in a non-RS apt...

that's why people sign leases -- for guarantee of peace of mind and security.

In the long run by taking such an attitude, your LL is just going to cost herself $, but in the short run there is really nothing you can do about it.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Re: can my landlord decide my roommate's acceptability?

Postby mjr203 » Thu May 01, 2003 4:38 pm

Originally posted by me again:
as long as you are taking in a roommate, and NOT adding the roomies name to the lease, pointer is correct. if you want to add a name to the lease, i.e., another 'responsible party', that would probably constitute a modification to the lease, both you and the ll would have to agree to it, in writing. hence, the ll *can* screen in that case.
right.
most Landlords suck it.
mjr203

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments