TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

management company won't return phone calls

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

management company won't return phone calls

Postby raina_b » Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:19 am

Does anyone have experience dealing with really horrible management companies? Is there a way to report them?

I've had MANY problems with my apartment, and the managment company has been completely unresponsive. For example, it took about 20 phone calls, 5 appointments with Keyspan and various maintenance people, and a total 3 months to have the heat repaired in my bedroom. They never return phone calls, and for the past two weeks, the service's answering machine has been broken, so we can't even leave messages! Also, I don't have my landlord's phone number and have no way of getting in touch with him.

Any ideas? My lease is up for renewal in a few weeks, and I'd like to resolve this before I consider signing a new one.
raina_b

Re: management company won't return phone calls

Postby <frank> » Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:49 am

How do you know you will even be offered a renewal lease?

If your not rent stabilized , I think you should start packing and start looking for a new place today.
<frank>

Re: management company won't return phone calls

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:22 pm

Sounds just like the management company for my building. If you're rent stabilized, send them a certified letter outlining your complaints and keep a copy for yourself. If they dont respond within 10 days, file a complaint for decreased services with DHCR. That should get their attention eventually.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments